It’s important to acknowledge your online presence does not exist in isolation. It’s part of a system of information your visitors use each time they open up a browser.
It is very similar to a live cricket match.
It’s also a key part of the financial and operational systems of your business (at least it has that potential). By viewing your online marketing efforts as a system for advancing instead of as a series of isolated pages filled with text, you will adopt the analytical mindset to benefit from Web analyses.
Cricket is a sport which is played between two teams of eleven players each who score runs (points). This is done by hitting the ball across the boundary, or by running between two sets of three small, wooden posts, the wickets. The wickets are at each end of a rectangle of short grass called ‘the pitch’.
WHAT DOES A LIVE CRICKET MATCH AND ONLINE MARKETING SYSTEM HAVE IN COMMON?
- Cricket is played between two teams each made up of eleven players.
There are 11 major components of the online marketing system as seen below. (SEM, SEO, Pictorial ADs, Email, Affiliate, Direct, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter & Offline)
- Cricket games comprise of at least one innings where each team will take turns in batting and fielding/bowling.
With online marketing, many channels are used to drive repeated purchases.
- The fielding team will have a bowler bowl the ball to the batsman who tries to hit the ball with their bat.
Online marketing requires you to increase the acquisition of hits as many times as possible.
- The fielding team tries to get the batsmen out by…
- Hitting the wickets with the ball when bowling
- Catching a batsman’s shot on the full
- Hitting the batsman’s leg in front of the wicket (LBW)
- Or hitting the wickets before the batsmen can run to the other end of the pitch
Online marketing requires the channel to stay in as long as it’s profitable.
- The batsmen try to score as many runs as possible before getting out by…
- Hitting the ball and running between the wickets and making it to the other end before the fielders can hit the wickets with the ball. Each time you run one full length of the pitch it equals 1 run.
- Hitting the ball to the boundary along the ground is 4 runs.
- Hitting the ball over the boundary on the full equals 6 runs.
Online Marketing focuses on getting the increased web page traffic (runs) by using different strategies without the product being overtaken by its competition.
- The fielding team must get 10 batsmen out before they can change over and start batting.
- The aim of the game is to score as many runs as possible before the fielding team takes 10 wickets. The team with the most runs wins.
The aim of the game with online marketing is to beat your competitors and score as many hits before the fielding team takes over.
When your web page matures it starts to function at a basic level of skill and understanding of the process. As the page matures able to keep driving home runs.
To be a good cricket player requires:
- Good hand-eye coordination
- The ability to throw and catch a ball
- Good batting and bowling technique
- The ability to concentrate for sometimes long periods of time
Good concentration is a skill that can only be developed over time.
Committing to measurable marketing requires a focused flexible mindset from the free-flowing soft cliche of traditional marketing (good eye-hand coordination). Doing so allows you to take the emphasis off or on desired outcomes, accountability, and overall business value. This doesn’t mean you need to stop being creative! Even as you deploy compelling, emotionally driven collateral and brilliant messaging to attract customers (like throwing and catching the ball), you’re doing so with an eye toward results and clarity of vision (good batting and bowling technique) that’s never before been available to marketers.
You can use Web analytics to address strategic questions such as where to allocate budget and where to hire more skilled team members. You can also analyze what’s going on inside each area of your system at a tactical level. The technology behind Google Analytics is so precise that (and his ability to concentrate for long periods of time), for example, you can use it to analyze how a specific
ad creative performs on a specific Website in a specific city. This incredible granularity is one of the reasons many businesses are overwhelmed by the data they see in Google Analytics.
We refer to these categories as inbound marketing channels, acquisition channels, or simply channels. At the center of the system is your Website, which in most cases is a brand’s online presence.
There are two most important processes for analytical marketing: the conversion process (a.k.a. the checkout process, lead generation process, and transaction process) and the post-sales process (that is, the activities you undertake to maximize repeat business and lifetime valued
We call the virtuous cycle of acquiring new customers and converting them to repeat buyers the customer ecosystem. Strengthening this ecosystem by raising the percentage of repeat buyers, increasing the percentage of website visitors that buy, and shortening the time between purchases is a key value proposition of Google Analytics.
At this stage, you may wonder how this systemic view applies if your business doesn’t sell products. No matter what your goal – whether raising awareness of a social issue, providing basic information to stakeholders, or just sharing your thoughts with the world — you can apply this view.
Maybe you just want people to spend a couple of minutes on your site each time they visit. If so, that’s okay. You can use Google Analytics to help understand how well you are succeeding and what to focus on to do better.
Conclusion – Like a Live Cricket Match
There are 11 major components of online marketing systems with many channels to drive repeated purchases. Online marketing requires you to increase the acquisition of hits as many times as possible. Channels need to stay effective as long as is profitable.
Online marketing focuses on getting the increased web page traffic(hits) by using different strategies without the product being overtaken by its competition. The aim of the game with online marketing is to beat your competitors and score as many hits before the fielding team takes over. If you wish to read more about sourcing online work click HERE.